Every person, athlete or non-athlete, functions best with good nutrition.
Athletic performance is influenced greatly by nutrition. Getting the right amount macronutrients and micronutrients can often be the missing link in improving performance.
Macronutrients = carbs, proteins, and fats
Micronutrients = vitamins and minerals
Let’s keep it simple.
Athletes will need the following macronutrients:
- 45-70% of their diet from healthy carbs
- Whole grains
- 15-25% of their diet from lean protein
- Low-fat dairy - cottage cheese, milk, Greek yogurt
- Chicken, fish, beef, turkey, eggs, tofu
- 15-25% of their diet from healthy fat
- Olive oil
- Nut butters
- Coconut oil
Athletes will also benefit from the following micronutrients:
- Vitamin D
- Egg yolk
- Fortified milk
- Fruit juices
- Nuts and seeds
- Vitamin C