Which Diet is Best For Me?

diet food health nutrition Nov 28, 2018

Anyone who knows me knows that I exercise regularly, eat healthy 80% of the time, and try to find some “me” time to relax.

Because I am a physical therapist and an athletic trainer, I tend to get asked a lot of questions about “what do I do when this [fill in the blank] hurts?” or “can you tell why I have this pain?”

Besides those questions, I get asked A LOT about “WHAT FOOD SHOULD I EAT?” or “WHAT DIET DO YOU RECOMMEND?”

Now, let’s be clear. I am NOT a nutrition expert and I am NOT a registered dietician.

If anyone has any dietary concerns or has any health problems related to diabetes, heart disease, thyroid issues, or any other medical issues that can be influenced by diet, I absolutely recommend seeking professional assistance with a Registered Dietician who can create an individualized and custom diet plan for you.

I can only speak in general terms based on the research I have read for my own personal benefit and to help my family eat well.

Here are my recommendations:

  • Eat lots of fruits and vegetables – the natural sugars you get from fruits and vegetables can help maintain your sugar levels throughout the day so that you don’t have those big “sugar highs” and lethargic “sugar lows”
  • Graze – eat a little and eat often – eating 3 smaller meals plus 1-3 snacks during the day also helps keep your sugar levels even so that you don’t binge eat or suffer with cravings
  • Avoid foods that didn’t exist before 1900 – seriously, if you stop and think about it, many of the processed foods that are high in sugar, high in salt, high in chemicals or additives you can’t even pronounce, and high in calories weren’t even around before 1900 – avoid these foods or eat them a lot less than you are now
  • Avoid diets that leave out a food group – if a diet leaves out a food group then your body will crave the nutrients it is missing from that food group – let’s face it, is it really realistic to cut out all carbs and all fats – your body needs some carbs because you need carbs for energy – just choose good carbs like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables; your body also needs healthy fats like Omega 3s for good heart health
  • Mediterranean Diet – this diet consists of fruits, vegetables, grains, fish rich in Omega 3 fatty acids (think salmon), and healthy fats like olive oil; it also replaces salt with herbs and salt; research also supports this diet if you are trying to decrease inflammation in your body associated with arthritis
  • Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) – this diet includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat diet; research supports this diet if you are trying to decrease inflammation in your body associated with the cardiovascular or heart system
  • Eat in moderation – eat healthy 80% of the time and the other 20% eat what you want OR try to eat healthy meals all week and choose 3 meals a week to eat whatever you want
  • Watch your portions – most Americans overeat because when we go out to restaurants, the quantity of food served to us is enormous – the portion sizes served to us are inaccurate so it is important to readjust your eyes and your thinking to recognizing that less is better – if you follow the other recommendations, trust me, you won’t go hungry
  • Diet is not enough – many people think that changing their diet will help them reduce inflammation in the body and maintain their weight – this is true but it is not enough – you must combine a healthy diet with a regular exercise routine to get the most benefit from your diet and good food choices

Being healthy is not just ONE THING!

Being healthy is embracing a lifestyle of good decisions in food, physical activity, rest, and environment.

If you have questions about how to improve your health naturally, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Jeanette at 262-842-2220 or [email protected]

To Your Best Health,

Dr. Jeanette


“Fill Out The Form To Get YOUR Special Report That Answers The 48 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Physical Therapy” (...It’s Currently FREE!)

Leave Your Details And Get All This Information NOW...