We are in the hot and humid heat of summer and staying cool can be a challenge as well as a safety issue. Add wearing a face mask to protect yourself against the spread of COVID-19 and it can be down right hot just walking from your car into the grocery store.
Here’s a few tips to stay safe and cool in this unpredictable season:
1. Drink plenty of fluids - Staying hydrated helps your body thermoregulate itself to keep you cool
2. Hang out by the water - Relaxing by pool or at the beach gives you the opportunity to cool off in water when you get hot; you can still maintain 6 feet of social distance between your family and the next while having fun too!
3. Seek shade - If you can’t go inside for a break from the heat, then do the next best thing and find a shady area where you might feel 10-15 degrees cooler simply because you aren’t in direct sunlight
4. Eat high-water content foods - Choose fruits and vegetables as snacks because they have higher water content. Foods like watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, skim milk, and cucumbers have higher water content to help you stay hydrated.
5. Take breaks from physical activity - Overexerting with physical activity in extreme heat can lead to heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Taking frequent rest breaks, drinking water and electrolyte drinks, and applying ice or cold water to the head and face will help the body’s core temperature stay cool.
If you have more specific questions, Dr. Jeanette is happy to answer them. You can reach out by contacting her at [email protected] or 262-358-6730.
Leave Your Details And Get All This Information NOW...